Work for us
Wanted: owner drivers who’ll go the extra mile
Our business is growing quickly and this means we need more owner drivers for our fast moving, high-tech Sameday service. But there’s more to this than driving – we see our licensed owner drivers as our business partners, so we want you to be among the industry’s best.
That means sharing our commitment to first class customer service as well as being well presented, personable and genuinely motivated to ‘go the extra mile’.
We can offer you:
- Flexible working hours as work is available 24/7 365 days a year throughout the UK
- Good rates of pay – including out of hours premiums
- High earning potential – the more you deliver the more you earn
- Regular monthly payments by BACS straight into your account
- Automatic self-billing (no need to invoice us, we do all the paperwork for you)
- No costly joining fees just a one off licence fee of £30 to pay for your criminal records check and issuing a Royal Mail ID badge annually
What we need
Here are the minimum requirements to join our fleet
For the customer, you’re the ‘face’ of The Royal Mail so it’s essential that your van is modern, in good condition and no more than eight years old.
It also needs to have rear ‘barn-opening’ doors and fit into one of the following categories:
Capable of carrying anything up to a standard 121cm (48") x 101cm (40") pallet with a maximum height of 100cm (39") and a total maximum weight of 400Kg.
Short wheel base van
Capable of carrying multiple packages or up to two standard 121cm (48") x 101cm (40") pallets with a maximum height of 152cm (60") and a total maximum weight of 1000Kg.
Long wheel base van
Capable of carrying multiple packages or up to three standard 121cm (48") x 101cm (40") pallets with a maximum height of 152cm (60") and a total maximum weight of 1500Kg.
Extra-long wheel base van
With more volume but less weight-bearing capacity, this is capable of carrying multiple packages or up to four standard 121cm (48") x 101cm (40") pallets with a maximum height of 152cm (60") and a total maximum weight of 1400Kg.
Insurance – minimum cover requirements
Here’s the minimum level of cover you need. If your current insurance doesn’t meet these standards you must upgrade to join the team.
- A specialist courier insurance policy that covers ‘the carriage of goods for hire or reward’
- Goods in Transit cover to at least £10,000
- Public liability cover to at least £2 million
Here’s how it works
You could be a part of our successful fleet of owner drivers within 2 working days and this is how:
Once you have completed the registration form and we have confirmed you meet our minimum requirements you will need to provide us with copies of all of your documents and complete some online forms.
We will then check all of your paperwork and contact you to take the licence fee of £30 and send your details for vetting. Our vetting team will get back to us within 2 working days to confirm whether we can make you an active driver. As soon as this confirmation is received your details will be passed to our operations team and a welcome pack sent out to you.
You are then cleared to do work for us whilst we wait for the vetting team to complete their security checks which can take a further 2 – 3 weeks. Once you have cleared this stage you will be issued with a Royal Mail ID badge giving you full clearance to do all available jobs.
How to apply?
To join us you must meet all of our essential criteria as detailed below:
- Own/lease a full panel van within 8 years old that can hold a minimum of 1 standard 121cm (48") x 101cm (40") pallet and has rear barn style opening doors – cars cannot be used
- Have Vehicle Insurance covering you for “the carriage of goods for hire and reward”
- Have Goods in Transit Insurance for £10,000
- Have Public Liability Insurance for £2 million
- Have a Full UK Driving Licence (maximum of 6 points)
- Be able to pass a CRB check
- Have the right to work in the UK
If you meet all of our criteria please click on the ‘apply now’ button to complete our registration form.Apply now