Work for us
Wanted: owner drivers who’ll go the extra mile
Our business is growing quickly and this means we need more owner drivers for our fast moving, high-tech Sameday service. But there’s more to this than driving – we see our licensed owner drivers as our business partners, so we want you to be among the industry’s best.
That means sharing our commitment to first class customer service as well as being well presented, personable and genuinely motivated to ‘go the extra mile’.
We can offer you:
- Flexible working hours as work is available 24/7 365 days a year throughout the UK
- Good rates of pay – including out of hours premiums
- High earning potential – the more you deliver the more you earn
- Regular monthly payments by BACS straight into your account
- Automatic self-billing (no need to invoice us, we do all the paperwork for you)
- A one off licence fee of £30 to pay for your criminal records check and issuing a Royal Mail ID badge annually
- Access to the Royal Mail Tracking app making you more visible to our operators which increases your chances of being offered work as well as making accepting and signing off jobs easier and more efficient. There is no upfront cost for this app but you will be charged £0.60 for each job you do
What we need
Here are the minimum requirements to join our fleet
For the customer, you’re the ‘face’ of The Royal Mail so it’s essential that your van is modern and in good condition.
It also needs to have rear ‘barn-opening’ doors and fit into one of the following categories:
Capable of carrying anything up to a standard 121cm (48") x 101cm (40") pallet with a maximum height of 100cm (39") and a total maximum weight of 400Kg.
Short wheel base van
Capable of carrying multiple packages or up to two standard 121cm (48") x 101cm (40") pallets with a maximum height of 100 cm (39") and a total maximum weight of 1000Kg.
Long wheel base van
Capable of carrying multiple packages or up to three standard 121cm (48") x 101cm (40") pallets with a maximum height of 152cm (60") and a total maximum weight of 1500Kg.
Extra-long wheel base van
With more volume but less weight-bearing capacity, this is capable of carrying multiple packages or up to four standard 121cm (48") x 101cm (40") pallets with a maximum height of 152cm (60") and a total maximum weight of 1400Kg.
Insurance – minimum cover requirements
Here’s the minimum level of cover you need. If your current insurance doesn’t meet these standards you must upgrade to join the team.
- A specialist courier insurance policy that covers ‘the carriage of goods for hire or reward’
- Goods in Transit cover to at least £10,000
- Public liability cover to at least £2 million
Here’s how it works
If you believe you meet our minimum requirements and are interested in working with us then please complete the application form which can be accessed by going to the How to apply tab and clicking on ‘Apply Now’.
Once you have completed your application, which includes uploading copies of all of your documents and reading and signing some online forms, we will check all of your paperwork and contact you to take the licence fee of £30 so we can send your details off for vetting (DBS / Security Checks). Please note it can take up to 14 working days for our vetting team to come back to us to advise whether you have passed the security checks and these checks must be carried out by Royal Mail even if you have recently had a DBS check done.
As soon as we have confirmation that you have passed all the security checks we will get you set up on our systems, advise our Operations team so they know they can start using your services and we will email you your logon details for the app as well as instructions on how to download the app onto your phone. We will also send you an ID badge in the post.
How to apply?
To join us you must meet all of our essential criteria as detailed below:
- Own/lease a full panel van within 8 years old that can hold a minimum of 1 standard 121cm (48") x 101cm (40") pallet and has rear barn style opening doors – cars cannot be used
- Have Vehicle Insurance covering you for “the carriage of goods for hire and reward”
- Have Goods in Transit Insurance for £10,000
- Have Public Liability Insurance for £2 million
- Have a Full UK Driving Licence (maximum of 6 points)
- Be able to pass a CRB check
- Have the right to work in the UK
If you meet all of our criteria please click on the ‘apply now’ button to complete our registration form.Apply now