Work for us
Wanted: owner drivers who’ll go the extra mile
Our business is growing quickly and this means we need more owner drivers for our fast moving, high-tech Sameday service. But there’s more to this than driving – we see our licensed owner drivers as our business partners, so we want you to be among the industry’s best.
That means sharing our commitment to first class customer service as well as being well presented, personable and genuinely motivated to ‘go the extra mile’.
We can offer you:
- Flexible working hours as work is available 24/7 365 days a year throughout the UK
- Regular monthly payments by BACS straight into your account
- Automatic self-billing (no need to invoice us, we do all the paperwork for you)
- Access to the Royal Mail Tracking app making you more visible to our operators which increases your chances of being offered work as well as making accepting and signing off jobs easier and more efficient. There is no upfront cost for this app but you will be charged £0.60 for each job you do
- No joining fees to become a part of our network of drivers
What we need
Here are the minimum requirements to join our fleet
For the customer, you’re the ‘face’ of The Royal Mail so it’s essential that your van is modern and in good condition.
It also needs to have rear ‘barn-opening’ doors and fit into one of the following categories:
Capable of carrying anything up to a standard 121cm (48") x 101cm (40") pallet with a maximum height of 100cm (39") and a total maximum weight of 400Kg.
Short wheel base van
Capable of carrying multiple packages or up to two standard 121cm (48") x 101cm (40") pallets with a maximum height of 100 cm (39") and a total maximum weight of 1000Kg.
Long wheel base van
Capable of carrying multiple packages or up to three standard 121cm (48") x 101cm (40") pallets with a maximum height of 152cm (60") and a total maximum weight of 1500Kg.
Extra-long wheel base van
With more volume but less weight-bearing capacity, this is capable of carrying multiple packages or up to four standard 121cm (48") x 101cm (40") pallets with a maximum height of 152cm (60") and a total maximum weight of 1400Kg.
Insurance – minimum cover requirements
Here’s the minimum level of cover you need. If your current insurance doesn’t meet these standards you must upgrade to join the team.
- A specialist courier insurance policy that covers ‘the carriage of goods for hire or reward’
- Goods in Transit cover to at least £10,000
- Public liability cover to at least £2 million
We need to see your current DBS certificate which must be dated in the last 6 months and show your current home address details. If you do not have a DBS certificate meeting these requirements then you will need to get one before you can apply to join our team.
Here’s how it works
If you meet our minimum requirements and are interested in working with us then please complete the application form which can be accessed by going to the ‘How to apply’ tab and clicking on ‘Apply Now’.
Once you have completed your application, which includes uploading copies of all of your documents and reading and signing some online forms, we will check all of your paperwork to make sure we have everything we need and that the minimum requirements have been met. Please note we aim to check your completed application within 21 working days (Mon-Fri) but reserve the right to take longer than this when we have a high volume of applications and/or staff absence.
As soon as we are sure we have everything we need we will get you set up on our systems and provide your details to our Operations Team so they know they can start using your services. We will email you all the contact details you need for the Operations Team, along with the instructions on how to download the app onto your phone and what your logon details are so you can get started straight away. You will also receive your Royal Mail Sameday ID badge in the post within a few days of being set up.
How to apply?
To join us you must meet all of our essential criteria as detailed below:
- Own/lease a full panel van that can hold a minimum of 1 standard 121cm (48") x 101cm (40") pallet and has rear barn style opening doors – cars cannot be used
- Have Vehicle Insurance covering you for “the carriage of goods for hire and reward”
- Have Goods in Transit Insurance for £10,000
- Have Public Liability Insurance for £2 million
- Have a Full UK Driving Licence (maximum of 6 points)
- Have the right to work in the UK
- Have a current DBS certificate (dated in the last 6 months and showing your current home address)
If you meet all of our criteria please click on the ‘apply now’ button to complete our registration form.Apply now